Summer 2016 Bucket List

Friday, June 17, 2016


Every year I vow to make that summer the best one ever and if we are being entirely honest, I'm usually disappointed by the time August rolls around. Newfoundland's weather is the absolute worst and for the past two summers we have had terrible summers (last year, July was nicknamed "Julyuary" and we arrested a meteorologist). This year I won't set my sights on making it the "best summer ever" (let's be honest, the best summers involved having two months off from school!) but making the best of what is to come. Honestly, I will probably be happy if we can just have sunshine and warm temperatures for the next couple of months! That being said, I've compiled a bucket list of things that I'd like to do this summer in hopes that I will hold myself accountable to it.

Go Hiking | Ever since I read "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed, I've been obsessed with the idea of hiking. I actually went hiking once before and swore I'd never do it again, so this is a good thing! Newfoundland has a number of amazing trails and I am hoping to do the Skerwink Trail again (this is the one I tried and it nearly killed me), as well as the La Manche Village Path (that suspension bridge!) and the Centre Hill Wilderness Trail. I am also hoping to do the Ferryland Lighthouse Picnic which is less of a hike and more a picnic but you have to actually walk to get to the food, so it totally counts.

Try Five New Restaurants | In recent years, Newfoundland has become known for its culinary experiences. While I won't be splurging on some of the highly reclaimed restaurants, I want to branch out and try some new places. Although Bier Markt is a chain restaurant, it is not super popular and serves some gourmet takes on some of my favourite pub foods, so I definitely want to check that out! I also need to try St. John's Fish ExchangeMallard Cottage for brunch, Get Stuffed, and the Newfoundland sushi at Grates Cove Studio.

Read, Read, Read | I've been failing in my goal to read a book each month (currently averaging one every two months) and I'd like to make up for that this summer. Lazy summer days are the perfect opportunity to sneak in some reading time. I added a few new books to my Kindle yesterday including "#GIRLBOSS" by Sophia Amoruso"One True Loves" by Taylor Jenkins Reid and "Confess" by Colleen Hoover. And of course, I will be picking up a copy of "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" as soon as it hits stores!

Go Fishing | This is an easy one that I can pretty well guarantee will be checked off before too long. It has been a few years since I've gone fishing but I absolutely love it. The cod fishing season opens July 1st and has been extended this summer so it will be difficult not to accomplish this one.

Go Camping.. In a Tent! | I love camping in the summer but I've always camped in an RV and never in a tent. Again, I think "Wild" inspired this bucket list item as well because until that point I've never had any interest in camping in a tent. Sadly the weather here in Newfoundland might make this one difficult (there are only a handful of days where it's actually warm at night) but we are going to give it a try!

Take a Weekend Trip | Because of Jordan's upcoming surgery, we had to cancel our plans to road trip to Maine this summer (but there's always next year!). I still want to travel somewhere though. We mentioned St. Pierre and Miquelon, perhaps if we could find another couple to go with us. In the meantime, I'll be keeping an eye out for seat sales for Toronto, Ottawa, New York, or we may just end up taking a weekend trip someplace in Newfoundland.

Overall, I think that should be an easy list to complete. For the most part, we are planning to be "tourists at home" this summer, which means that I will be highlighting the best of our province on this blog. Do you have a summer bucket list? I'd love to hear what your plans are!

2 comments:

  1. I always make the restaurant one a New Year's resolution and it is always fun to achieve. Foodie for life! I cannot wait for Cursed Child. I've only gone camping in a tent and really want to try an RV someday. Tents are okay, but it always got old pretty fast for me. I definitely think it is an experience worth having, though! I'm aiming for a weekend trip also. Last year, I had my surgery and couldn't do anything. Time to make up for it! Hopefully, Jordan can do the same after he heals!

    Wendy | Fashionable Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Wendy! :) Camping in an RV is definitely nice (and comfortable) but it's definitely not a "true" camping experience. Hopefully you guys can enjoy a nice weekend trip now that you are on the mend!

      Delete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan